Applications for the 2018-2019 fellowship class will open on December 6, 2017, and close on January 17, 2018. Join our listserv here to stay updated and make sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to keep our emails out of your spam folder!
- Are willing to push themselves outside their comfort zones, to embrace failure, and to approach a personally transformative year – with many challenges in the day-to-day – with integrity, humility, and self-reflection.
- Listen openly to others, embracing a range of perspectives and experiences while remaining open to having their own perspectives shift.
- Understand the hard, complex work of building just health systems and have the patience, resilience, and motivation to see these challenges through.
- Are empathetic, with a commitment to self-care and the wellbeing of others.
- Are passionate about social justice in global health and about finding and building their voices to affect health impact.
- Are committed to inclusivity and collaboration across sectors, cultures, and borders of all kinds, while investing in and supporting others.
Our applicants are 30 years old and under, so we’re not expecting you to have years of senior leadership experience under your belt. Instead, we are looking for alignment with our leadership practices and values: strong evidence of leadership potential and some leadership experience along the lines of organizing, collaborating, and working to affect change, however subtle it may be. The GHC fellowship is a one-of-a-kind leadership opportunity which places you in the real world, amidst real problems. It won’t be easy, but it will be transformational and rewarding.
Through your application, we want to understand who you are, what your personal vision of leadership is, what your social justice values are, and how you are working toward them. We also want to understand your perspective on the power of young leaders to change the world, why you want to be a part of the GHC community, and what you will contribute.
How will you build on the tremendous work of our nearly 900-strong emerging leaders worldwide? Are you ready to push yourself? Can you handle bumps in the road? We are here to support you, but you need to want to do the work. The real work. The roll-up-your-sleeves and do what it takes to effect change kind of work. Are you committed to changing and strengthening health systems no matter how hard, complicated, and long term the path there might be? Are you excited about engaging with a diverse community of people who share the belief that health is a human right, and offer a wide array of perspectives, personal stories, and expertise otherwise? Are you ready to change the future of global health? Are you willing to do what it takes to ensure health equity for all?
- Yearlong paid placements (June 24, 2018 – July 26, 2019) within partner organizations in Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, the US, and Zambia to address real-time capacity gaps and strengthen health systems. See our full list of current and past placement organizations.
- In addition to on-the-job training, we engage fellows in a comprehensive leadership training curriculum to build effective, empathetic, and innovative leaders of tomorrow.
- Fellows receive additional logistical and financial support during the year, including:
- A monthly living stipend
- Housing, including utilities assistance
- Health or travel accident and illness insurance, depending on citizenship and placement
- Support in applying for visas and/or work permits, as necessary
- Professional development grant of $600 and completion award of $1500
- Travel coverage to and from placement site, all trainings, and retreats
- For more information visit our FAQ page.
- December 6, 2017: Application opens! See our application preview for this year’s application questions and our fellowship positions page for examples of last year’s fellowship positions. You’ll be able to apply for up to three positions.
- January 15, 2018: One recommendation form due by 11:59pm EST (submitted directly by your reference)
- January 17, 2018: Application closes at 11:59pm EST
- January – February 2018: The GHC team reviews applications.
- March 2 – 17, 2018: Applicants are notified whether they’ve been invited to a semi-finalist interview. Semi-finalists are interviewed by a GHC fellow, alumni, or staff member for alignment with GHC’s leadership practices.
- March 23 – April 7, 2018: Semi-finalists are notified whether they’ve been selected as a finalist. Finalist applications are reviewed by placement organizations, who then choose which finalists to interview
- Late April – May 2018: Fellowship offers are extended on a rolling basis.
- June 2018: Every year, a few searches extend into June. Some of these are filled with candidates from our waitlist of strong runners-up for other positions.
- June 24 – July 6, 2018: 2018-2019 GHC fellows attend Training Institute at Yale University.